- Liability insurance on car rental in California
- Car Rental Providers
Liability insurance on car rental in California
Additional notes on this blog entry :
The link above to “a little research” which links to Hertz’s “Qualifications and Requirements” page on “Insurance and other Coverages” only works if you first set a location with Hertz. It doesn’t matter what location you choose in the US because the page of information is the same for all of them.
First set your location to, in this case, South San Francisco : https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/handlers/ExtendedWhenWhereHowHandler?oag_code=SFOC41&locType=pUp
Next click the a little research link to see Hertz’s text on coverages.
This page describes three categories of states which have differing laws about what Hertz must do. Those three categories are :
- Arizona, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, South Carolina, Virginia, or West Virginia
- All other US States
The interesting thing here is that California is singled out from every other state. Our laws differ from all other states.
For California :
Hertz provides no liability protection under the terms of the Rental Agreement to the renter from claims of injury by others against you resulting from an accident. Your personal/business insurance may cover your liability.
For absolutely every other state, Hertz provides liability insurance.
We can assume that these differences by state are dictated by state law (and not Hertz’s desires or policy).
Car Rental Providers
San Francisco Bay Area
- Rent a Wreck San Francisco
- Compact : $30.95/day (9/10/2009)
- Liability Insurance : $11.95/day (called and confirmed on the phone)
- City Rent A Car
- Compact : $35.99/day (9/10/2009)
- Liability Insurance : $11.95/day http://www.cityrentacar.com/faq.html
- Rent a Relic Oakland
- Car : $29.95/day (9/10/2009)
- Liability Insurance : Already included in the price (according to owner Rich Craig 9/10/2009 “California State Minimum Liability is included in that price.”)
- Becker Auto Rental
- Compact : $22/day (9/10/2009)
- Liability Insurance : can’t remember but a good price
- Owner : Bill Birch
- I rented from Bill a few years ago and it was a great experience for a great price. Excellent customer service. He even picked us up from the airport.